Thursday, February 2, 2012

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Remember that gorgeous, sumptuous, too-simple-too-be-true Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken I shared on Tuesday? Well, ever since that post I've had Mexican on my mind. So today, I'm sharing my favorite recipe for chicken enchiladas. Tender, meaty, and enrobed in cilantro-studded, homemade enchilada sauce with a generous topping of golden cheese, these enchiladas are a real weeknight treat.


Can I share a secret? I love enchiladas. I mean, love them. I know I talk a lot about innovation in the kitchen and trying different foods, but it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll order some sort of enchilada every time we got out for Mexican food. I always promise myself I'll try something different...and then before I know it, I'm cutting into a tender, cheese-drenched enchilada - and loving every moment of it.

Oh, look at that cheese.......

I'm not really sure where this preference came from. I didn't grow up eating Mexican food, except for the very occasional Old El Paso Taco Kit (you can imagine those were pretty hard to come by during my childhood in England!), and it wasn't until college that I had my first taste of Tex-Mex. I still remember my first fish taco, but my first enchilada was the real revelation.


I'll be the first to admit that the enchiladas I make aren't exactly like the restaurant versions: for one thing, I don't add chiles (because I don't really like them), and my sauce is quite different. Despite all this, I find them wonderfully delicious. They're an indulgent meal - creamy and rich, but with a hearty helping of slightly-spicy chicken and the healthful savor of tomatoes. This dish comes with its own recipe for cooking the chicken, but you could certainly substitute my favorite Slow-Cooker Mexican Chicken - and using the crock pot would make this meal even easier to whip up during the week!


Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
makes 6-8 large tortillas
For the sauce:
8 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro (or 1/2 Tablespoon dry cilantro)

For the filling:
2 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
1 can stewed diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
8 oz. colby jack or cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. In a small saucepan, mix together the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and cilantro. Heat over low heat until warmed through. Cover and set aside.

In a frying pan over medium heat, cook onions until translucent. Add chicken and and tomatoes and cook until well heated.

Warm the tortillas until soft and flexible. Divide the filling into 6 or 8 roughly equal portions, and fill each tortilla with a portion of filling and 1-2 tablespoons of cheese. Roll tightly and place in the prepared baking dish, seam side down. Pour the sauce generously over the filled tortillas and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until enchiladas are hot and cheese is golden and bubbly.


A few notes: This recipe makes a lot of sauce so you can save some to top fajitas or tacos later in the week. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to six days. Also, If you like a bit of kick to your Mexican-inspired foods, feel free to add some chiles to the chicken mixture. A squirt or two of lime juice wouldn't go amiss, either. Finally, I made my enchiladas with whole-grain, low-carb tortillas from La Tortilla Factory and they were amazing - I can't recommend them enough, even if you aren't watching your weight! If you like the texture of corn tortillas, you'll love these.

Pin It
This post has been shared at:
Mad in Crafts: Mad Skills PartySkip To My Lou: Made By You MondayThe Southern Institute: Creative ME MondayMake Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt In Your Mouth MondayAdd a Pinch: Mingle MondayIt's So Very Cheri: It's Party Time - Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac MondayBrassy Apple: Make It MondayI Should Be Mopping the Floor: Mop It Up Mondays - Mrs Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave MondayJAQS Studio: Made By Me Wednesday - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Literally Inspired: WYTBW - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Creations by Kara: Look What I Made WednesdaySew Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday - 33 Shades of Green: Tasty TuesdaysMy Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff Thursday - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up With the HoH - Saved By Love Creations: Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - The Crafty Blog Stalker: Blog Stalking Thursday - Between U & Me: Crazy Cute Thursday - A Glimpse Inside: Catch a Glimpse Thursday - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday - Domesblissity: Thriving on Thursdays - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On Thursday - It's a Keeper: It's a Keeper Thursday - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday - Simply Designing: Simply Link Friday - Creation Corner: Friday Link Party - Stuff and Nonsense: Fridays Unfolded - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Fridays - 5 Days...5 Ways: Feature Free For All - Sassy Sites: Free For All Friday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! These look amazing! Happy to find your blog- new follower!

    www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I would love it if you come by and link this up at From Scratch Friday tomorrow @ Marriage from Scratch!

    ~Christina
    www.marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Definitely need to try this!
    Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party! I will be featuring this tomorrow afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh these sound GOOD! thanks for linking up to Make it monday! i'll be pinning and sharing on the Brassy Apple FB wall!

      Delete
  4. It's been such a long time since I've made enchiladas. They are a favorite of my husband's...okay, and mine. ;) I can see why you love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY!! I love enchiladas! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete