Sunday, December 11, 2011

Eggnog Waffle French Toast

With a title like that, I'll bet many of you are scratching your heads. Is it a waffle? Is it French Toast? Is it a deliciously creamy holiday beverage?


Well, let me tell you, it's a little bit of all of those things, but what it really is is 100% deliciousness! And the best part? Eggnog Waffle French Toast lets you have all the holiday yumminess of eggnog for breakfast - with a fraction of the guilt!

A few weekends ago, Matt made a jumbo batch of waffles. This was an act of love since a) he doesn't really like waffles and b) he made a lot of them. So many, in fact, that we ended up with a freezer full. I kept forgetting about them until they literally jumped out at me the other day. I took that as a sign (a sign that we need to empty our freezer!) and began to rack my brain for other ways to serve them - and just like that, the idea for Waffle French Toast was born.


Matt is a pancake guy, but I've always preferred waffles because their unique shape gives them optimum syrup-to-surface ratio. Unfortunately, they can sometimes be a little bland. Add in the flavor of french toast, though, and you've got the perfect breakfast: lots of syrup, lots of flavor, and even a bit of protein (from the egg) thrown in.


They're also a great blank canvas - which is where the eggnog comes in. I had originally planned to make them with milk, but since Matt came home with a surprise carton of eggnog this week, I just couldn't resist. I amped up the festive flavor with an extra pinch of nutmeg and enjoyed an awesome seasonal breakfast treat. Served with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of eggnog on top, they became an indulgence. Of course, you can swap the eggnog for milk and add any seasonings or flavors you like - the world is your waffle-shaped, french toast-flavored oyster!



Egg Nog Waffle French Toast (for one)

2 pre-baked waffles
1 large egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons eggnog
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Heat a small pat of butter in medium frying pan over medium heat. In a shallow dish, combine beaten egg, eggnog and nutmeg. Whisk until well blended. Dredge one side of the waffle thoroughly in the egg mixture, making sure the mixture gets into the waffle holes. Flip and do the same for the other side. Repeat the process for the second waffle. Cook in pan until egg is cooked and lightly browned, 2-3 minutes each side. Serve immediately with a drizzle of eggnog or pancake syrup.

This post is shared at:
Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - It's So Very Cheri: It's Party Time - C.R.A.F.T: Making Monday Marvelous - Making the World Cuter: Making the World Cuter Monday  - Skip to My Lou: Made By You Monday - The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up Party - A Southern Fairytale: Mouthwatering Monday - The Southern Institute: It's Creative Me Monday
JAQS Studio: Made by Me - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Creations by Kara: Look What I Made Wednesday - Sew Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday - Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday - Dining With Debbie: Merry Merry Munchies - This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design: Show and Tell Wednesday - Polkadots on Parade: Wow Me Wednesday - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff - House of Hepworth: Hookin Up with HoH - Thrifty Decorating: Thrifty Thursday - The Crafty Blogstalker: Blog Stalking Thursday - Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday - Around My Family Table: Turning the Table Thursday - Between U & Me: Crazy Cute Link Party - Making It With Allie: What Allie's Making Now - A Glimpse Inside: Catch a Glimpse Party - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday - Coupon Cookin': Tasty Traditions - Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday - It's a Keeper: It's a Keeper Thursday - Bizzy Bakes: Bake With Bizzy - The 36th Avenue: Share Your Awesomeness Thursday - Fingerprints on the Fridge: Feature Yourself Friday - Simply Designing: Simply Link - Creation Corner: Friday Link Party - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Whipperberry: Friday Flair Link Party - Allie n' Son: Sweet Tooth Friday - Not Your Ordinary Recipes: Foodie Friday - kojodesigns: Friday Fun Finds - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Joyful Stamper: Inspire Me Friday - Making Lemonade: Refresh Your Nest - A Little Knick Knack: Everything But the Kitchen Sink - Sweet As Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday

13 comments:

  1. What a great and easy and delicious breakfast!
    I'm with you, I'm a waffle girl! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of this creation. All my favorites in one fell swoop. Now if I can just figure out how to combine olives and chocolate chips.

    Thanks. Yum.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. These made me hungry! I think my family would love them, thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound ridiculously good. I would never have thought to 'french toast' a waffle. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm .. with maple syrup and butter, these would be sooo good. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. :-)
    Julie Andrea
    p.s. LOVE your background picture, was lucky enough to be in Morocco for a holiday, three years ago this Christmas, everything is so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly the best of all worlds. Thanks for sharing with us at Bake with Bizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum indeed; I'm following you--anyone who can cook is my hero; I love your recipes and I'm off to linger on your blog a bit more. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious look and yummy Toast . nice posting so thanks
    Luxury Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great recipe and just perfect for Christmas morning, I would love to give it a try. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I featured your awesome project today at my blog :)

    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/12/made-by-me-11-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made something similar (well, it was french toast with a challah base instead of waffle) and feel free to add some brandy to your eggnog mixture. It is extra tasty that way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always have leftover waffles in my freezer also, I will have to remember this for next time. I would love it if you shared your recipe here:

    http://juliejewels.blogspot.com/2011/12/show-off-your-stuff-3.html

    ReplyDelete