Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Ultimate Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Coconut Oil)

I first shared these cookies last year, after my introduction to coconut oil, but they're such a festive favorite that I thought I'd share them again! Coconut oil is a healthier substitute for shortening and butter, so you can bake these for your Easter baskets without any guilt!


I know I've shared a few different Chocolate Chip Cookies on the blog (dark ones, light ones, fat ones, skinny ones - even famous ones) but I really can't rave about this recipe enough. If you love chewy cookies, you really can't do better than these - and the coconut oil will make your kitchen smell divine during baking (who needs a trip to Hawaii, right about now?).

While you can taste a hint of coconut in the dough, the flavor practically disappears as the baked cookies cool, which means the greatest difference is in the texture. I have yet to find a recipe that turns out such consistently soft cookies, even if you over bake them slightly as I did - in my opinion, that's high praise.


You can use ordinary chocolate chips for these cookies (I also think a White Chocolate-Macadamia Nut version would be out of this world!), but it's worth springing for the Easter M&Ms if you can get them - they're so pretty! Also, I'm fairly sure that pastel-colored calories don't count...but don't quote me on that, okay?


Chewy Chocolate Chip Coconut Oil Cookies

1/2 cup coconut oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
12 oz chocolate chips or M&Ms candies (dark chocolate nicely complements the slightly sweet oil!)

Pre-heat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, eggs and brown sugar until well mixed (mixture may not 'fluff' as much as butter-based versions). Stir in vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Add flour in increments until completely incorporated.  Stir in chocolate chips or candy pieces by hand to prevent breaking.

Spoon dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet about two inches apart. Bake for 7-11 minutes (8-9 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for perfectly chewy cookies).  Edges will brown slightly when done. Remove from oven and allow cookies to set on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before removing. Eat warm for extra, coco-nutty goodness or allow to cool for a gorgeously chewy, more traditional cookie.
Pin It
This post has been shared at:
The Southern Institute: Creative Me - i should be mopping the floor: Mop It Up Monday - Skip To My Lou: Made By You MondayBrassy Apple: Make It Monday - Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Monday - The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - Flour Me With Love: Mix It Up Monday - JAQS Studio: Made By Me - Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday - Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On - Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials and Tips - Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - New Nostalgia: Anti-Procrastination Tuesday - Chef-in-Training: Tuesday Talent Show - Sweetology: Tea Party Tuesday - I'm Topsy Turvy: Topsy Turvy Tuesday - 33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesday - Not Just a Housewife: Show Me What Ya GotGinger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy Wednesday's Wowzers - The NY Melrose Family: Whimsy Wednesday - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Mrs. Fox's Sweets - Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design: Show and Tell - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Lil' Luna - Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Domesblissity: Thriving on Thursdays - The 36th Avenue: Show Me Extraordinary - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On - Stuff and Nonsense: Fridays Unfolded - Not Your Ordinary Recipes: Foodie Friday - Happy Hour Projects: Happy Hour Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - Making Lemonade: Refresh Your Nest Friday - Petals to Picots: I {heart} Fridays - Tutus & Tea Parties: A Pinteresting Party - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt It Friday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday - Addicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday - Petite Hermine: Sunday Linky - Cups By Kim: Sweet & Simple Sunday

13 comments:

  1. What a good idea! I'm going to have to get some coconut oil and try these! I'd like to invite you over to my link party, Sweet & Simple Sunday!

    http://cupsbykim.blogspot.com/2012/03/sweet-simple-sunday-3.html

    Hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used coconut oil before, but cookies sound like a good place to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought some coconut oil! I'll have to try these! I would love for you to share it at my party at Jillify It on Tuesday!

    I'm a new follower!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look fantastic. I know they would be a hit at my house. Come visit us. We have some wonderful things for Easter this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing! Found you via Topsy Turvy am now following via GFC. Love your ideas here. I would love for you to stop by The Vintage Milk House if you have the time! Have a great day! - Kali

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try the coconut oil! I found you thru Whimsy Wednesday :) http://breakitmakeitorbakeit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm coconut oil?! I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing coconut oil recipes and I want to try them! This recipe especially, it looks SO good. Where can I find coconut oil? Probably Whole Foods or somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely need to try coconut oil. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. Have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! i would love for you to link this post or any other posts you want up to my weekly link party called spread the love. it's a weekend wrap up party where you can share anything and everything you want! there is also a really awesome vinyl giveaway going on there right now too, so go check it out! http://www.lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2012/04/spread-love-5-decallove-giveaway.html
    have a wonderful weekend!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a huge cookie fan...I think these look great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these cookies! We loved having you join our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. they look so good!!! I love M&M and I love coconut oil! Would love to invite you to share this recipe in my "all coconut oil related" link up. Hope to see you there!!!

    ReplyDelete