Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Matt's Sausage and Spinach Quiche

Thanks for being patient with me! I know I owe you all at least a couple of posts, but I spent this weekend in Chicago visiting my sister (yes, the one I helped move from NYC in August) who should be delivering our family's newest addition very, very soon! It was a great visit and we're all very excited, but it didn't leave much time for blogging.


To make up for my negligence, I have a really great recipe for you today- one that's very special because it's one of Matt's signature dishes. I'm fortunate to have a husband who not only knows his way around a kitchen, but actually enjoys cooking, and though I make the majority of meals in our house, I really look forward to the ones made by Matt. For one thing, he rarely cuts back on the tasty things (like cheese, butter, or sugar) in an attempt to health-ify recipes like I do - and the results are always mouthwatering. This quiche is no exception.


We sometimes change up the flavoring and ingredients a little (substitute bacon for sausage, add some peppers or mushrooms - that kind of thing), but the basic recipe is always the same. Also, we typically use a pre-made crust in the interest of saving time on weeknights, but you could easily make your own. I'd recommend blind baking for a few minutes beforehand to prevent sogginess!


Sausage and Spinach Quiche
1 9-inch pastry shell, unbaked
1 cup shredded Cheddar or mozzarella cheese (a mix works great!)
1 cup crumbled pork or turkey sausage, cooked
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper and seasonings, to taste

Pre-heat oven to 350°F (you can pop your unbaked crust into the oven for 10-15 minutes at this point, if you wish - I recommend it!). Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese into the cooled pastry shell. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine sausage, onion and cheese and spoon sausage mixture into the pastry shell. Beat eggs, milk, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and desired seasonings in another bowl. Pour over the filled pastry crust. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold.


This recipe is linked at:
Marvelously Messy: A Marvelous Mess Monday - Dittle Dattle: Amaze Me Monday - Making the World Cuter: Making the World Cuter Monday - C.R.A.F.T: Making Monday Marvellous - Keeping It Simple: Motivate Me MondayDelightfully Dowling: Mangia Mondays - Skip To My Lou: Made By You MondayA Southern Fairytale: Mouthwatering Monday - Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt In Your Mouth Monday - 33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesday - Permanent Posies: Tuesdays Tasty Tidbits - At The Well: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday - Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesdays - Nap Time Creations: Tasty Tuesday - Not Just a Housewife: Show Me What Ya Got - New Nostalgia: Anti-Procrastination Tuesday - Sweetology: Tea Party Tuesday - I'm Topsy Turvy: Topsy Turvy Tuesday - Chef-in-Training: Tuesday Talent Show - Far Above Rubies: Domestically Divine Tuesday - Sugar Bee Crafts: Take A Look Tuesday - At Home With K: Terrific Under Ten Tuesday - Premeditated Leftovers: Hearth and Soul Hop - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked - Sugar and Dots: What I Whipped Up Wednesday - At Home With Haley: Recipes I Can't Wait To Try - Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design: Show and Tell Wednesday - Around My Family Table: Turning the Table Thursday - Feeding Four: What's Cooking Thursdays - What Allie's Making Now: Making it With Allie - Bizzy Bakes: Bake With Bizzy - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday - The 36th Avenue: Share Your Awesomeness Thursday - Simply Sweet Home: Friday Favorites - Creation Corner: Friday Link Party - Fingerprints on the Fridge: Feature Yourself Friday

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I was getting really bored with our regular bacon quiche and was looking to change things up a bit. This looks perfect!

    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche, this is a great twist on an old recipe. I will be making this for Brunch this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like quiche and this one looks tasty! I'm going to peek around your blog now. The tagines is the background have captured my attention.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Karen, and Happy Peeking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quiche sounds and looks wonderful! What a delicious combination of flavors! Thank you for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious - I like the sausage spinach combination! Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 of my fav ingredients but then again, anything in quiche is a winner for me! THx for sharing..the new link us up and ready for your new creations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made a quiche, but I have been thinking about it. Your husband's meal looks pretty and delicious! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you shared this recipe! It looks really tasty! I thought it would be more challenging to make, so I must try this! Thanks for linking up @ Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quiches are a favorite in my family. This week, we are featuring some of our delicious savory treats and this is certainly one of them.

    Come and share with us again.

    ReplyDelete