Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Easy, Breezy Key Lime Pie

When thinking of green desserts, what's the first thing that comes to mind? Key Lime Pie, right? I hope that's what you said, because that's what I'm sharing today.


It's no secret that I absolutely love limes. I'll substitute lime juice for lemon nine times out of ten - I even put it in my water - and if there's ever a lime garnish going spare, you can be sure I'm going to ask for it (politely, of course). So it may come as a surprise that this is my first ever Key Lime Pie.


This cool and creamy pie has been on my to-make list for years, but somehow I always assumed that it's velvety texture and rich, tangy flavor were the result of lots of hard work in the kitchen. This simple recipe proved me wonderfully wrong, and when I discovered that my prized pie could be mine for little more than a can of sweetened condensed milk and a few egg yolks, I had no excuse not to make it.

This easy, breezy recipe turns out a pie that's rich, glossy, and full of the bright, spring-like flavor of lime. And the best part? A few minutes active time in the kitchen produces a dessert worthy of a whole Southern afternoon's worth of cooking.


Easy, Breezy Key Lime Pie
from The Reluctant Gourmet

1 9-inch graham cracker crust*
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
4 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice (12-15 key limes or 3-4 regular limes)

*or make your own by combining the crumbs from 12 graham crackers, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and 5 Tablespoons melted butter

Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and lime zest together until the yolks are slightly frothy and tinted green (this may take a few minutes). Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and lime juice until well combined. Set aside to thicken at room temperature (at least 20 minutes).

Meanwhile, prepare your graham cracker crust and blind bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes (15 for a homemade crust), until the crust is lightly browned. remove and allow to cool to room temperature.

Pour the lime filling evenly into the completely cooled crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until the center is set but still 'jiggly' when shaken (yes, that's a precise, official cooking term). Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Serve chilled.


Pin It
This post has been shared at:
The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - The Southern Institute: Creative Me Monday - Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday - Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Monday - Brassy Apple: Make It Monday - Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - I should be mopping the floor: Mop It Up Mondays - Permanent Posies: Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits - Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On - Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials and Tips - Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday - Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - Blessed With Grace: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday - Ladybug Blessings: Handmade Tuesdays - Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - JAQS Studio: Made By Me - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Mrs. Fox's Sweet: Luck o' the Irish Party - Sew Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday - Lil' Luna Link Party - The NY Melrose Family: Whimsy Wednesdays - Mrs. Fox's Sweets - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff Thursday - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HoH - The Crafty Blog Stalker: Blog Stalking Thursday - Allie Makes: Making it with Allie - A Glimpse Inside: Catch A Glimpse Thursday - Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Crafty, Scrappy, Happy, Me - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday - Domesblissity: Thriving on Thursdays - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On - Diana Rambles: Thematic Thursday - Days of Chalk and Chocolate: Latest and Greatest - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Toys in the Dryer: Fun Stuff Fridays - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday - Simply Designing: Simply Link - Creation Corner: Friday Link - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Five Days...5 Ways: Free-for-All Friday - Whipperberry: Friday Flair - Sassy Sites: Free For All Friday - Teaching Good Eaters: Food Adventure Friday - Jennifer Cooks: Fusion Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - A Little Knick Knack: EBTKS - Every Creative Endeavor: Everybody's Creative Endeavor - Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday - Addicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great refreshing dessert. Lovely pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum Yum..my guys LOVE pie...I'll have to try this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE key lime pie but I always assumed it was super difficult to make. Thanks for sharing an easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Key Lime pie is one of my favorites!! Would love to have you link this up to my "Homemade By You" party going on now!
    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/03/homemade-by-you-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on preferring limes over lemons!!! Your pie looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother in law loves key lime pie. I never knew how to make it though. Thank you for sharing it at Whimsy Wednesday over at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since eating our first key lime pie on a trip to Miami last year, my guy has wanted me to make one for him. So, thank you, thank you for this recipe. Can't wait to try it.

    I've just become your newest follower. So, please, please come visit me and maybe you'll follow back. THANKS AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love key lime pie! This looks amazing and easy too. I'd love for you to share this at my link party. It runs Tues-Sat. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/03/terrific-tuesdays-5.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmm, that looks seriously yummy. I am pinning it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Key Lime Pie, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good recipe! It's the one I have used. Sometime, try it with a toasted coconut crust. Incredible!!!

    My son makes one of the BEST key lime pies I have ever tasted. It's quite tart with a very rich and sweet crust and it's his secret recipe...one he developed after many a trial. During college and shortly after, he made these pies for many local restaurants. He will not share his recipe with me, but for any special occasion, he'll make one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The crust looks GREAT! I love key lime pie. Especially this time of year! Thanks so much for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband would love this! Thanks for sharing. Would love for you to link up at http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.com/2012/03/scrumptious-sunday-2.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my husband saw your post and is drooling! Thanks for linking it to Scrumptious Sunday!

      Delete
  14. Mmm, that looks wonderful! DH's favorite pie is key lime, I may just have to surprise him with this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! I've never tasted lime-pie before and I'm very curious now

    ReplyDelete
  16. Key lime pie is one of my favorite. The photo made my mouth water!! Now I'm going to have to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now those photos are making me hungry. We love key lime pie to no end. Every chance we get we order them from Kutchie and Anita Pelaez's key lime pie factory. Yours look quite divine too. You think maybe we could try one someday?

    Thank you, Julianne Moore

    ReplyDelete