Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ultimate Thin Mint Brownies

One of the things that has surprised me most about food blogging is how big of a deal the holidays are - and how quickly they come around. I feel like I've been seeing Irish green since the day after Valentine's, and yet St. Patty's is still two weeks away!


Of course, I don't want to be a party pooper, so this week will feature a few emerald-hued treats to get us in the holiday spirit, starting with today's Thin Mint Brownies.


If you're thinking these beautiful baked goods look a little familiar, you might be right. They made their first appearance in the early, early days of The Traveling Spoon, but they're so festive and delicious that I just had to share them once more - plus, it just happens to be Girl Scout cookie season again. You can read the original (much more informative) post here, but if you're just here for the recipe, keep reading!


There's a simple version of the Thin Mint Brownie on the Little Brownie Bakers website (just add crushed Thin Mints to your favorite boxed mix), but this is not that brownie. I have to confess that I did use a boxed mix but you could, and should, substitute your favorite basic brownie recipe and just make the modifications suggested below. I would recommend a dark/bittersweet recipe to contrast with the bright, sweetness of the mint; I used a milk chocolate box, which was all we had on hand, and it ended up a bit too sweet (because, you know, some people might think that's actually possible).

Check out that crackly top!

These brownies are studded with crushed Thin Mints and swirled with peppermint icing before baking.  Under heat, the icing creates a crackly mint toping and a sweet, very fudgy center.  I baked mine in muffin cups (I like bite-size brownies) but I'm sure you could use a regular 9x9-inch pan or whatever your normal recipe calls for. 

The Ultimate Thin Mint Brownies
Brownies:
1 whole batch of your favorite brownie recipe, unbaked
1 sleeve Thin Mints cookies

Mint Icing Swirl:
8 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 Cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3-4 drops green food coloring (as desired)

Blend brownie batter and crushed cookies.  Stir until just combined.  Pour into greased baking pan.  To prepare icing, combine butter, sugar, 1 Tablespoon milk and peppermint extract.  Add additional milk as needed to achieve the proper texture.  The icing should be spreadable but not too thick.  Spoon strips of icing across brownie batter and use a warm knife to marble.  

Bake at 350°F for slightly less than the length of time directed on your recipe.  Watch closely near the end of baking since the icing sugar may overflow (and nobody wants burnt sugar on the bottom of their oven!).  Brownies are done when the edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan and the center no longer appears liquid - it will still be dark and fudgy from the melted sugar.  Remove brownies from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.  Run knife around the edges of the pan to loosen.  Allow to cool in pan.  Use any remaining icing to decorate, and garnish with crushed Thin Mints - if you haven't eaten them all already!

Pin It
This post has been shared at:
The Southern Institute: Creative Me Monday - A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday - Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - i should be mopping the floor: Mop It Up Monday - Brassy Apple: Make It Monday - Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Monday - The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - Lines Across My face: Cure for the Common Monday - Creating My Way to Success: Round Tuit - Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in You Mouth Monday - Flour Me With Love: Mix It Up Monday - Skip to My Lou: Made by You Monday - Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday - Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On - Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials & Tips - Sugar Bee Crafts: Take a Look Tuesday - Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - New Nostalgia: Anti-Procrastination Tuesday - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday -  JAQS Studio: Made By Me - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Mrs. Fox's Sweet: Luck o' the Irish Party - Sew Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday - Lil' Luna Link Party - The NY Melrose Family: Whimsy Wednesdays - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Mrs. Fox's Sweets - Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff Thursday - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HoH - The Crafty Blog Stalker: Blog Stalking Thursday - Allie Makes: Making it with Allie - A Glimpse Inside: Catch A Glimpse Thursday - Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Crafty, Scrappy, Happy, Me - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday - Domesblissity: Thriving on Thursdays - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On - Diana Rambles: Thematic Thursday - Days of Chalk and Chocolate: Latest and Greatest - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Toys in the Dryer: Fun Stuff Fridays - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday - Simply Designing: Simply Link - Creation Corner: Friday Link - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Five Days...5 Ways: Free-for-All Friday - Whipperberry: Friday Flair - Sassy Sites: Free For All Friday - Jennifer Cooks: Fusion Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - A Little Knick Knack: EBTKS - Every Creative Endeavor: Everybody's Creative Endeavor - Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday

24 comments:

  1. These look great - I love crackled tops :) Come share at my link party, please! http://www.dwellonjoy.com/2012/03/dwell-on-fridays-seven.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, I so would make them in regular muffin tins, so I could say I only ate one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my do I love thin mint! Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday and I hope you'll stop back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooooo good! I want one right this very minute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I love the thin mint as a garnish. I'd love it if you came and linked this up at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-1.html. I'm following GFC and LF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a bite, please! This looks amazing...I'll wait to try after my wedding as I have a dress to fit into and I think it would be impossible to just have one! New follower and glad to have found your creative little space on the web:D Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Just make sure you stash a box of Thin Mints (and congrats on your upcoming wedding!) :)

      Delete
  7. Love this! Thank you for sharing this at Whimsy Wednesday over at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - super delicious and great looking brownies!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah....Girl Scout Cookies! I am cookie mom and ours arrived on Monday. (I also helped sort & load paletts and pallets of cookies for the council that day!) I have LOTS of extra Thin Mints, which might be dangerous! This looks absolutely divine! I am going to post a fun snack that I thought up using Thin Mints tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, that would be dangerous for me, too! I can't resist!

      Delete
  10. WOW!! Rachel, these look scrumptious!! Just tweeted this. One more reason I need to buy Thin Mints. YUM!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I would love for you to come share with my readers on Blog Stalking Thursday. http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-stalking-thursday-31_07.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yum. I love Thin Mints! And I know what you mean about holidays - Easter isn't for a few weeks and I'm already stressing about what to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I haven't even thought about Easter yet!

      Delete
  13. My eyes are just so huge right now. Those brownies really are the ultimate in thin mint brownies. I looove them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. chocolate mint - it never goes wrong! *slurp*

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious!! Mint and chocolate...heaven! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring them tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm! Those look so so good! Stopping by from Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These looks so yummy! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these as both mini and regular size brownie cupcakes, and everyone who tried them loved them! Thank you for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete