Friday, March 23, 2012

Pinned There, Done That: Lofthouse Cookie Bars

A couple of weeks ago, I shared with you all my first Lofthouse Sugar Cookie experience. I expected a lot of backlash for admitting that this experience was a little underwhelming - but I should have known that my wonderful readers would be lovely and positive.


In fact, your positive reaction led me to give Lofthouse a second try. I've been seeing Lofthouse copycat bars all over the web (okay, mostly on Pinterest, and here, and here), and since I have a crazy obsession with bar desserts (as demonstrated here, here, and here), and didn't feel like rolling out dozens of cookies, I decided to go this route.

I also thought this would be the perfect opportunity for another Pinned There, Done That - but you may notice that I'm skipping the usual fanfare. That's because I saw so many versions that I can't attribute the final product to a single one. The closest version comes from Two Peas & Their Pod, mostly because I wanted a recipe that used sour cream instead of cream cheese (confession: I was cleaning out our fridge!).


But enough preamble. After all the hours and hours of research spent on Pinterest (tough job, I know), was the Lofthouse rematch a success? Well, yes and no.  These bars are made with butter, sugar, flour, and eggs, so naturally they're pretty tasty, but I'll be honest, I wasn't wowed.

My biggest regret was that I baked mine in a 9x13-inch pan which made them incredibly thick and cake-like (and we all know how I feel about cake things that aren't actually cakes), so I've made the switch in the recipe to a jelly roll pan. I really think this - coupled with a generous slick of icing - should be enough to make them more Lofthouse-like, but if you're a lover of cake, by all means go for the 9x13!


Lofthouse Cookie Bars
based on this two peas & their pod
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cups sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until each is well incorporated. Stir in the vanilla and sour cream. Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour and stir until just incorporated. Dough will be stiff, but sticky. Scrap down the side of the bowl and cover dough tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Meanwhile, grease a jelly roll pan (15x10x1-inch pan) or line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425°F. Press the chilled dough evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden. Cool completely and spread with your favorite buttercream icing.

A few notes: I haven't included my icing recipe here because - guess what - I don't use one. I know it's weird, but I almost always 'eyeball' my frosting recipes and they usually still come out yummy (it's mostly sugar, after all). I suggest using your own personal favorite, but if you're desperate for a recipe, let me know and I'll do my best to write mine down.

I've explained the difference in thickness above, but in case you missed it, using a jelly roll pan will give you thinner bar cookies than the ones pictured here. If you like the thick, cake-like quality of my bars, use a 9x13-inch pan. On the other hand, you can make your bars even less cakey by omitting one of the eggs and taking them out of the oven at the first sign of doneness (about 20 minutes). They won't be very Lofthouse-like, but I'm sure they'll be delicious!

Pin It
This post has been shared at:
Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - i should be mopping the floor: Mop it up Monday - Brassy Apple: Make It Monday - Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Monday - Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday - The Southern Institute: Creative Me Monday - The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - Flour Me With Love: Mix it Up Monday - Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet TuesdayToday's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On - Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials & Tips - Sugar Bee Crafts: Take-a-Look Tuesday - Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show - Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - Nap Time Creations: Tasty Tuesday - I'm Topsy Turvy: Topsy Turvy Tuesdays - Reasons to Skip the Housework: Tuesday Time Out - 33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays - JAQS Studio: Made by ME - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Mrs. Fox's SweetsLady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Lil' Luna - The NY Melrose Family: Whimsy Wednesday - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Something Swanky: Sweet Treats ThursdaySomewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HoH - Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Me - Domesbilssity: Thriving on Thursday - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On - Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday - Days of Chalk and Chocolate: Latest & Greatest Friday - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Stuff & Nonsense: Fridays Unfolded - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt It Friday - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Not Your Ordinary Recipes: Foodie Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - Sassy Sites: Free-For-All Friday - Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday - Too Much Time on My Hands: Get Schooled Saturday - Goings On In Texas: Unveil Your Genius - Love Notes By Lauryn: Spread the Love Weekend Party - Tatertots & Jello: Weekend Wrap Up - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday - Addicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday

29 comments:

  1. These look yummy! I'm not sure I've ever had a loft house sugar cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I don't love Loft House frosting, so homemade would be MUCH better. Thanks for sharing!

    We'd love to have you at our new link up party: http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/03/wayward-weekend-9.html if you're interested =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a follower and a fan. And, in case you haven't had the pleasure already, I just TAGGED YOU on my blog. Hop on over to Crazy Thrifty Crafts and see. I hope you'll join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to the "Unveil Your Genius" link party! I hope you'll link up again soon! :) (PS...these look yummy!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookie bars look fantastic! I love the purple swirls on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum. A jely roll pan is genius. I wouldn't want them cake like either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugar cookie bars are my all time favorite! Plus, no rolling and cutting and rotating cookie sheets...those pics are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these look great! We have our first ever Beautify It Monday link party going on now and we'd love for you to stop by and link up @ bringingbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The perfect topping for sugar cookies. Yum

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made a version of these too and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed :). But I've found heating it up 10 seconds in the microwave until the frosting is a little melt-y makes it much more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that...next time ;)

      Delete
  12. Another one of your delicious recipes! Thanks for sharing! We loved having you at "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM!! These look so amazing. I must give these a try. Thanks for sharing!

    -Courtney from terminallydomestic.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! I love the hint of purple in the frosting. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look yummy. Just found your blog its so fun.. Come and check out my blog


    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a cookie bar that's cake-like! Will have to give this a try in a 9x13! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will give this a try. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lofthouse Cookies are new to me...and even though you didn't love them, they do look pretty :-) Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday, can't wait to see what you post next week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rachel,
    Your Cookie looks great to me. I like the thicker cookie bar so I would use the 9X13 pan. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy! These sound really good! I haven't had or even heard of a Lofthouse sugar cookie bar before, where have I been? These are so simple I may have to make them as a gift for our neighbor who just put down their sick and aging dog, something sweet always lifts the spirits, right?
    Thank you for this.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. The sound really good and they sound simple too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmm, I've been meaning to try this recipe. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! We're doing a link party on the blog for the Pinterest Challenge, this would be perfect for it (and we have prizes, a winner and features)

    ReplyDelete