Sunday, March 11, 2012

Shamrock Butter-Mints

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'm carrying on the 'green' theme from last week...

St Patrick's Day is a great holiday for celebrating with kids. There are so many fun crafts (I mean, you've got shamrocks, leprechauns and rainbows to work with!) and lots of fun treats to make. Sadly, I didn't really 'discover' this holiday until I was older. It wasn't widely celebrated when I was a child in England, so my fondest St. Patrick's Day memories come from my college years.


Since my family lived in England and I was at school in the States, I spent my holiday weekends with friends. St. Patrick's Day, in particular, was spent with the family of a friend who just happened to have Irish heritage. Every year, they made a lavish celebratory feast with all the trimmings like corned beef and cabbage, soda bread, and Irish coffees. We dressed in green, listened to Irish music, and watched 'Darby O'Gill and The Little People'. I was always grateful to be included in their family celebrations, and this evening of festivity and laughter made up for all the St. Patrick's Days I'd missed in the years before.


Of course, St. Patrick's Day is fun for adults, too. It's a great excuse to sip Bailey's and indulge in green-tinted treats like these festive mints. Their buttery, minty flavor will please any adult palate, but they're easy enough to whip up with your kids.


Peppermint Patties

3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
3 - 4 cups confectioners' sugar, as needed
Up to 1 scant Tablespoon butter, melted (optional)
Green food coloring (optional)

Combine condensed milk, peppermint extract, and food coloring in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well blended. Gradually add the confectioners sugar to form a stiff dough. For a richer taste, and to make the dough more malleable, stir in melted butter (this step is optional, but the added flavor is worthwhile). This will make the mixture slightly more fluid when handled, but it should firm up when allowed to stand at room temperature.

Working the dough as little as possible, shape into 1/2-inch balls. Place on waxed paper and flatten into discs with fingers. Shamrock shapes can be formed by shaping three small balls for leaves and a thin, short rope for a stem. Allow the candies to set at room temperature for a couple of hours. If desired, dip cooled, set patties in melted chocolate to coat (also recommended!). Store patties in the refrigerator.

Pin It
This post has been shared at:
The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped UpThe Southern Institute: Creative Me MondayMake Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth MondayCraft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac MondayBrassy Apple: Make It MondayMrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave MondayI should be mopping the floor: Mop It Up MondaysLadybug Blessings: Handmade Tuesdays - Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent ShowBlessed With Grace: Tempt My Tummy TuesdayPermanent Posies: Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits - 33 Shades of Green: Tasty TuesdayToday's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On - Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday - Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials and TipsHope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Blue Cricket Design: Show and Tell Wednesday - Lil' luna Link Party - JAQS Studio: Made By Me - Mrs. Fox's Sweets: Mrs. Fox's Sweets Party - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Teaching Good Eaters: Food Adventure FridayAddicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday - Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff Thursday - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HoH - The Crafty Blog Stalker: Blog Stalking Thursday - What Allie's Making Now: Making It WIth Allie - A Glimpse Inside: Catch a Glimpse - Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Me - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring - Domesblissity: Thriving on Thursdays - Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full plate Thursday - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Stuff and Nonsense: Fridays Unfolded - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday - Simply Designing: Simply Link - Creation Corner: Friday Link - Days of Chalk and Chocolate: Latest & Greatest Friday - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Five Days...5 Ways: Friday Free-for-All - WhipperBerry: Friday Flair - Not Your Ordinary Recipes: Foodie Friday - Sassy Sites: Free-For-All Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - Jennifer Cooks: Fusion Friday - A Little Knick Knack: EBTKS - Sweet As Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - Tatertots & Jello: Weekend Wrap-Up - Gingerbread: Sweet Saturday - Too Much Time On my Hands: Get Schooled Saturday - Be Different...Act Normal: Show and Tell Saturday

17 comments:

  1. Those look really good and I'm sure we'd have fun making them... I'm planning all sorts of green treats this week and I just may have to add this in for fun :) (I also see that you had a green theme last week so I'm going to have to check out your other posts for more ideas!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so tasty love buttermints and I love your sweet clovers come see what i shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These look great. I normally make something similar around Christmas time - never thought of shaping them into shamrocks. Really creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mum used to make them at Christmastime, too - such happy memories!

      Delete
  4. Oh man! How yummy and totally cool looking are these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these look yummy! Can you press them into candy molds too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you could. I haven't tried it with this particular recipe (it does make a slightly gooey mixture, pre-cooling, if you use the butter) but I have done it with similar versions. I'd recommend a mold that isn't too detailed, though - just in case :)

      Delete
  6. Yummy! I hope you'll add these to my St. Patty's Day Project Parade.

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute are these!! :) So festive, and they look yummy! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my word….these look DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! These look tasty and so festive! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday at Addicted to Recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel, your Shamrock Butter Mints look so pretty just perfect for St. Patrick's Day. They look delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious! Peppermint patties are a favorite of mine. Love the green shamrocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could live off of peppermint patties like this, and I try to some days I tells ya. How yummy!

    ReplyDelete