Monday, March 5, 2012

Pinned There, Done That: Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

After yesterday's sweet and indulgent Thin Mint Brownies, I decided today's post should skew to the healthier side of the 'green' spectrum - and what better choice than a new twist on my favorite vegetable, the humble brussels sprout.


Several weeks ago, I shared my go-to method for producing delicious sprouts but, I dare say this version is just as good...if not better. Instead of roasting the sprouts with olive oil and salt, they're sliced thinly and caramelized with garlic on the stovetop. The flavor is much the same but this version is quicker, which makes it a valuable tool in my weeknight cooking arsenal - and you can be sure this one will be a regular.

This method of cooking also opens up more options for different flavor combinations. I kept it simple for the first go-round, but I could see this recipe benefiting from the addition of some chopped, toasted walnuts, or perhaps some crumbled bacon or pancetta (but really, isn't almost everything elevated by bacon?).


I spotted this recipe at Katy's blog, Baking, domesticity, and all things mini, but the original source, several steps up the food chain, is 101 Cookbooks. Heidi Swanson usually does great things for vegetables, and since I don't need any convincing when it comes to brussels sprouts, I couldn't wait to try it out. Matt heartily approved the outcome, but since this is a Pinned There, Done That post, I'll let you judge if for yourself.

The Pinspiration:

The Product:


Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

12-14 large brussels sprouts, washed
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
Pinch coarse salt
Toasted walnuts, crumbled blue cheese, bacon or other flavor accents (optional)

Slice brussels sprouts into thin ribbons. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds or until fragrant, but not browned. Add brussels sprouts and salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until they just begin to crisp and brown (the original recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, which you could add now for sweeter sprouts). Add garnish of choice and serve immediately.

Pin It
This post has been shared at:
The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - The Southern Institute: Creative Me Monday - Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday - Brassy Apple: Make It Monday - Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - I should be mopping the floor: Mop It Up Mondays - Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On - Home Stories A to Z: Tutorials & Tips - Sugar Bee Crafts: Take a Look Tuesday - Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - New Nostalgia: Anti-Procrastination Tuesday - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday -  JAQS Studio: Made By Me - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Sew Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday - Lil' Luna Link Party - The NY Melrose Family: Whimsy Wednesdays - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff Thursday - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HoH - The Crafty Blog Stalker: Blog Stalking Thursday - Allie Makes: Making it with Allie - A Glimpse Inside: Catch A Glimpse Thursday - Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Crafty, Scrappy, Happy, Me - Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday - Domesblissity: Thriving on Thursdays - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On - Diana Rambles: Thematic Thursday - Days of Chalk and Chocolate: Latest and Greatest - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Teaching Good Eaters: Food Adventure Friday - Toys in the Dryer: Fun Stuff Fridays - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt it Friday - Simply Designing: Simply Link - Creation Corner: Friday Link - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Five Days...5 Ways: Free-for-All Friday - Whipperberry: Friday Flair - Sassy Sites: Free For All Friday - Jennifer Cooks: Fusion Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - A Little Knick Knack: EBTKS - Every Creative Endeavor: Everybody's Creative Endeavor - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - Addicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday

14 comments:

  1. Yummolicious! We love those tasty little sprouts. I make them with the brown sugar - my veggie hating picky son can't get enough of them. I love pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe originally had brown sugar in it, but I was a little wary so I left it out (plus, I'm trying to cut back). On your recommendation, though, I'll have to try it out!

      Delete
  2. Aren't they good this way? And so quick and easy!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brussel sprouts, but I'm always afraid to cook them. I'll have to try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesday at The Ny Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually roast our Br sprouts, but this is so quick & easy. We have a BUSY afternoon and I didn't think I'd have time to prep sprouts tonight BUT I will do it this way! Thanks for linking up at Thematic Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! We don't have brussel sprouts often because I don't really know what to do with them--- now, I do!! We have a green feast every St. Patrick's Day and I'm busy planning this year's menu-- I think I need to add these!! You can check out the feast and link up this post (if you'd like) at Food Adventure Friday : http://teachinggoodeaters.blogspot.com/2012/03/food-adventure-friday-green-feast.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love brussels sprouts! I'll definitely be trying this. :)

    www.mycakecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang. I have avoided making brussel sprouts for a very long time. But you are persuading me to try! Thanks for sharing this recipe at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, a shout out to bacon! You said it sister, bacon elevates. Anyway, after years of trying my children will still not eat sprouts, they even complain about the smell. So my husband and I can torment them by eating sprouts often thanks to your recipe. Great blog keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oldest son and I are the only ones in the family who like brussel sprouts, maybe this will get everyone else on board! :-) We'd love for you to share this at our recipe link up! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/03/recipe-round-up-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love brussel sprouts...just need to convince the rest of the family to eat them. This recipe may just do it! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the inspiration to try something new with our brussel sprouts! And thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning! Wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your recipe this week as one of my Scrumptious Sunday #2 picks! You've been featured on my blog and Facebook page. Thanks again for sharing!

    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete