Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pinned There, Done That: Grow Your Own Green Onions!

It's Springtime - and that means lots of green, growing things. To be honest, it's felt like spring for weeks around here, but now that the dogwood tree outside our apartment is in full bloom (it's one of my favorite trees - how lucky am I!), I know that the warm, sunny days and increasingly temperate evenings are here to stay.


I love this time of year, when the world wakes up after winter and we can slowly peel off our layers and enjoy the sunshine. I love the first sign of buds on a tree, and the way even the most desolate places spring to life at the promise of warm, wet days (believe me, I spent a few years in the desert in Arizona, and spring there is just as much a marvel as it is on the verdant East Coast).


Ever since I was a child, I've loved growing things - which is why I'm doubly disappointed to have somehow ended up with two black thumbs! I nurtured gardens all through childhood, with great success, but somehow my skill with plants must have gotten lost with my baby teeth...until now.  Early in the year, I decided to give my green thumbs a second chance. That may have been a bit ambitious, given that Matt and I don't have so much as a patch of dirt to our names, but thanks to this simple project, I'm off to a pretty good start.

I've shared my admittedly checkered gardening past because I want to convince you just how easy it is to grown your own green onions. If I can do it, anyone can. And we have Pinterest to show us how!

The Pinspiration:


The Product:

So here's how to grow your own onions:
1. Using your last ever bunch of store-bought green onions, cut off the green flesh, leaving about two inches of white flesh above the root (I cut mine a little too short and they grew more slowly as a result).

2. Fill a shallow glass container with enough water to just submerge the roots and stand the cut onions in the water (you may need to bundle the onions with an elastic band to get the to stay upright at first).

3. Change the water daily and keep your onions in a sunny place. You should see growth within the first day or two.

4. Continue to water the onions daily until they're long enough to harvest. You can repeat the process as often as your onions will keep growing. You may need to start afresh after a few cycles.

From start to salad, it took me about three weeks to grown my onions (I'm sorry I don't have a final picture - we were hungry!), but your timeline may vary depending on light conditions and such. Also, although my onions grew just fine in a Mason jar, I don't think I'd recommend it. A few onions seemed 'stunted' by the sides of the jar - although that could just be the lingering influence of my black thumbs!

Pin It
This post has been shared at:
The Southern Institute: Creative Me - i should be mopping the floor: Mop It Up Monday - Skip To My Lou: Made By You Monday - Brassy Apple: Make It Monday - Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Monday - The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - Flour Me With Love: Mix It Up Monday - Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show - JAQS Studio: Made by METhe NY Melrose Family: Whimsy Wednesday - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday - Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Lil' Luna - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday - Bear Rabbit Bear: Things I've Done Thursday - Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff - House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HoH - Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Me - Domesbilssity: Thriving on Thursday - Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On - Diana Rambles: Thematic Thursday - Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday - Days of Chalk and Chocolate: Latest & Greatest Friday - Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday - Stuff & Nonsense: Fridays Unfolded - Chic on a Shoestring: Flaunt It Friday - The Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday - Not Your Ordinary Recipes: Foodie Friday - Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday - Sassy Sites: Free-For-All Friday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - Too Much Time On My Hands: Get Schooled Saturday - Gingerbread: Sweet Saturday - Be Different...Act Normal: Show and Tell Saturday - Addicted to Recipes: Scrumptious Sunday - Petite Hermine: Sunday Linky - Cups By Kim: Sweet & Simple Sunday

18 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad to know this works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a great idea! I've go to try this! Thanks for linking up!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need to give this a try. You did a great job explaining the process as well. I also was not blessed with green thumbs so hopefully I can manage this. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can do it, you can do it! Good luck :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this idea. Will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, this is great information to pass along and a great idea. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I just bought a bunch of onions, so I'll definitely have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this, and it didn't work for me, but I also didn't try changing the water daily. Maybe I'll try it again.
    Shiloh
    everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - changing the water everyday is key. Otherwise your roots will get mushy and your onions won't grow. If you're nervous, try leaving more of the onion on the stem (cut it off just at the point where it turns green) - this should result in faster growing. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. I love trying to grown things I can't wait till it's time to plant the garden. I'm gonna try this with the onions and let you know. So cool thanks for sharing. http://www.harmsplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Came over from Days of Chalk and Chocolate. My friend Maureen did this with celery and I started some fennel and couple days ago...didn't even think of green onions! Thanks, wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that - celery is my next project. I'd never thought of doing it with fennel. Admittedly, I don't use fennel that often, but I probably would if i could grow it myself!

      Delete
  11. What a great idea! I've got a few green onions left right now, I've got to try this! I'd love for you to share this too at my link party!!

    http://cupsbykim.blogspot.com/2012/03/sweet-simple-sunday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've wondered if this would work -- sounds so easy! I'm curious to see how the celery trial works. I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally tried this, too! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seriously can't get this to work for me. I think the difference is the rubber band. I will try again.... Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! I totally have to try this! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday! This week's party is open, if you haven't already linked up :-)
    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/p/link-party.html

    ReplyDelete